Friendly Plastic and Swarovski Crystal Earrings in 5 Easy Steps
I’m sharing yet another Friendly Plastic jewelry making video. This time I’m showing you how to use the Fracture and Fusion technique and beautiful Swarovski Crystals to create a delicious pair of earrings in just 5 easy steps. I like nearly instant results and jewerly projects that don’t take a lot of time and don’t break the bank. I know you will appreciate that too!
A few quick hints here before you get started. I find that a dry heat method works best for this jewelry project. I prefer using a griddle, but you can also use a heat embossing tool to heat the Friendly Plastic strips. I set my griddle to just below 200 degrees farenheit. Add each strip of Friendly Plastic one at a time and allow it to completely fuse. Once the plastic is cooled, it will become hard again. You can heat and reheat Friendly Plastic multiple times.
Download the instructions for the Friendly Plastic and Swarovski Crystal Earrings here (right click the picture > save image as >)
Watch the video tutorial here
Here’s what you’ll need
- Friendly Plastic – 3 or more colors
- Head pins
- Bi-cone crystal beads
- Earring wires
- Shape cutters
- 24 gauge gold wire (optional)
- Round nose jewelry pliers
- Griddle or heat tool
- Wire cutters
- Box cutter
- Ruler with steel edge
- Cutting surface
- Non-stick work surface
- Petroleum Jelly
How to Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1: Cut Friendly Plastic into 1/8 in. to 1/4 in. wide strips lengthwise using the box cutter, ruler and cutting surface.
- Step 2: Lay the non-stick workmat onto griddle (set to approximately 200 degrees F). Place the first strip onto the mat. Place additional strips next to previous strip and allow to fuse together. Tap any gaps closed with your finger.
- Step 3: Apply generous amount of petroleum jelly to cutter and press cutter into plastic to cut out shape. Cut out two shapes for each earring. Allow to cool before removing excess plastic.
- Step 4: Turn one shape over and heat the surface until it is shiny. Place a headpin lengthwise in the center of shape. Place the remaining piece over this assembly to encase the headpin between the two layers. Refine edges if needed. Let cool. Repeat for other earring.
- Step 5: Loop each end of the wire with round nose pliers. Attach beaded dangles and earring wire and wrap with wire if desired.
To learn more about Friendly Plastic, please visit my official Friendly Plastic blog – click here